WMFD TV

Search Archive WMFD.com News

www.wmfd.com - The prosecution in the George Zimmerman trial will give their closing arguments Thursday after the defense rested its case Wednesday. }}" />

   
 
 
Defense Rests In George Zimmerman Trial

Story By: Larry Stine

 

 

 
 
 
  Email Story to Friend
   
  Original Published: 7/11/2013  The prosecution in the George Zimmerman trial will give their closing arguments Thursday.   The defense is expected to go Friday.   Wednesday, George Zimmerman declined to testify.   Martin Savidge has more.   It's been the question dominating this entire trial, Would George Zimmerman take the stand?   And, Wednesday, Judge Debra Nelson asked hin directly.   "Have you made a decision to testify?" asked the judge. "After consulting with counsel, decided not to testify. Your decision?"   "Yes, your honor," answered Zimmerman.   "Are you making freely and voluntarily? she asked.   "Yes," he replied.   And with that, the defense rested.   Much of the day was spent on a use of force consultant who testified based on his analysis. Zimmerman was non-confrontational, lacking a "warrior mentality."   But it was a dummy that proved to be one of the strongest witnesses of the day.   It began when prosecutor John Guy grabbed a life-sized mennequin to show their version of events.   "We've got a model here, even has a belly button."   It was here, the state seemed to concede Trayvon Martin could have been on top of George Zimmerman, suggesting he was pulling away at the time he was shot.   Previously, the prosecution argued Zimmerman was on top.   "Would it be consistent with Trayvon Martin backing up and the defendant raised his gun?" asked prosecutor John Guy.   The demonstration brought jurors to their feet to get a better view.   Realing the potential impact, defense attorney Mark O'Mara seized the prop for his own demonstration.   "were the injuries on Mr. Zimmerman's back of his head consistent with someone doing this (pounds dummy three times) on cement?" asked O'Mara.   The defense concluded by calling two emotional witnesses.   The first, a young mother who described a home invastion in the same neighborhood where the shooting happened, when she had to lock herself in her son's room.   "I was locked in my son's bedroom, someone was shaking the doorknob. trying to get in," said Olivia Bertalan. "I was sitting there with rusty scissors in one hand and my son in the other."   She was not only a character witness for the defense, explaining how Zimmerman had counseled her after that break-in, but her testimony also painted a picture of a neighborhood on alert after previous crimes.   Then came Zimmerman's father, who answered what has become a mantra for both the defense and prosecution, whose voice was screaming for help the night Martin died?   "Absolutely," said Robert Zimmerman Sr. "That's my son George."   And, in a move many court watchers anticipated, the prosection asked the judge for lesser charges to be included, manslaughter and aggravated assault.   The judge will make that decision Thursday, and whether "stand your ground" will be included in the jury instructions.   Closing arguments are expected Thursday as well.
   
  MORE RECENT NEWS
 
Image1 A man convicted of rape and kidnapping is sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.. Full Story
Image1 WMFD's own Brian Skowronski and several other employees participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Full Story
 
Image1 Pediatric Neurosurgeon and New York Times Best-Selling Author Dr. Ben Carson speaks at A.U. Full Story
Image1 Shelby is ready to turn one of the most flood-prone areas of its downtown into an attractive place that won't be damaged when the river overflows. Full Story
  MORE NEWS
 

Shelby Breaks Ground For Black Fork Commons Park

North Central State College Holds Fall Convocation

Richland, Ashland Counties Get Strong Families Grants

Two people killed in crash at U.S. 42 and Ohio 302

Madison School District Opens Up

Lucas Schools Seeking 12.9 Mil Renewal Levy

Autopsy reveals infant accidentially suffocated

New School Year Begins In Ontario

Mansfield man found not guilty in shooting case

More News