WMFD TV

Search Archive WMFD.com News

www.wmfd.com - The head of General Motors is laying out company-wide changes in the wake of a massive recall linked to at least 12 deaths. }}" />

   
 
 
General Motors CEO Mary Barra Lays Out Changes After Recall

Story By: Larry Stine

 

 

 
 
 
  Email Story to Friend
   
  Original Published: 3/18/2014

The head of General Motors is laying out company-wide changes in the wake of a massive recall linked to at least 12 deaths. The automaker is facing Congressional and even criminal probes. In a video released Monday, CEO Mary Barra says her company is now moving faster to fix potential problems. Ed Payne reports. "Something went wrong with our process in this instance and terrible things happened. As a member of the GM family and as a mom with a family of my own, this really hits home for me." General Motors CEO Mary Barra got personal in talking about her company's ignition switch defects, an issue linked to at least 12 deadly crashes that sparked the recall of 1.6-million vehicles. GM has come under fire for not issuing the recall until last month, even though the company admits its engineers knew about the problem as early as 2004. Barra's comments come on the same day that GM announced another round of large-scale recalls. This time, the issue is with possibly faulty airbags and overheating brakes. The recalls involve anothe million-and-a-half vehicles, but the company says no injuries are linked to those potential problems. Barra says the new recalls are proof GM has learned from past mistakes. "We are re-doubling our pending problem reviews, bringing them forward and resolving them quickly," she says. "We will take care of all these customers and continue to apply what we have learned." Dealing with the fallout from the recalls has been a major early challenge for Barra, who became the first woman to lead a major automaker when she took the reins at GM in January. But for those who lost loved ones in crashes related to the recall, there's little comfort. "I am overwhelmed by anger," says Ken Melton, whose daughter Brooke died in an accident. "If we had just known this information my daughter would still be here today."

   
  MORE RECENT NEWS
 
Image1 A Mansfield man involved in a shooting on January 5 in the 700 block of Burns Street will be sentenced on Sept. 3. Full Story
Image1 Richland County's dog license fee increases next year for the first time in twelve years. Full Story
 
Image1 A multi-vehicle accident Tuesday morning in Richland County claimed the life of a Mount Vernon man. Full Story
Image1 A couple charged with the illegal manufacturing of methamphetamine and the kidnapping of a 2-year-old boy have been indicted by the Richland County Grand Jury. Run Road. Full Story
  MORE NEWS
 

Kidnapping suspects indicted by Richland County Grand Jury

Avita Health System Opens First Phase In Ontario

Ribbon Cut For Buckeye Village Apartments

Local ALS Patient Thrilled With Ice Bucket Challenge

More News