WMFD TV

Search Archive WMFD.com News

www.wmfd.com - Many tax payers in Ohio are not taking advantage of EITC. }}" />

   
 
 
Ohioan's May Not Claim The Full Tax Return They Deserve

Story By: Brian Skowronski

 

 

 
 
 
  Email Story to Friend
   
  Original Published: 3/31/2014

IRS Media Relaions rep Jennifer Jenkins says there's "a tax credit that is out there that is designed for folks that are low to moderate incomes called the Earned Income Credit or EITC" that thousands of Ohioan's are not taking advantage of and should be.

Jenkins says the IRS estimates that only 80% of people that are eligible actually claim EITC, and the other 20% are potentially missing out on thousands of dollars.

The credit can be worth up to nearly $6,000, according to Jenkins, but says that most people don't get that much.

"Last year the average here in Richland County specifically was over $2,000." Jenkins says.

The state average is approximately $2,219 per eligible tax payer.

To be eligible for EITC, Jenkins says your income must be below $52,000 for the year and that various factors determine the amount of the credit. Jenkins suggests visiting the IRS website and utilizing the EITC assistant to see check on qualification.

If a tax payer does qualify to claim EITC, Jenkins insists "they should claim it and get that money." She added that tax money can be claimed dating back three years if it is discovered that EITC or any other credit was earned and not claimed.

   
  MORE RECENT NEWS
 
Image1 Ashland Man Sentenced To 30 Years In Prison For Labor Trafficking Conspiracy. Full Story
Image1 Richland Bankís Relay for Life team, Banking on a Cure, will be holding a 5K Run/Walk on August 23. Full Story
 
Image1 A Mount Vernon man was killed when the motorcycle he was driving collided with a vehicle as he was attempting to pass it. Full Story
Image1 Guard your personal identity information with your life, or you could end-up like the victim in a case which has resulted in the indictment of 28-year-old Robert Hardesty of Mansfield. Full Story
  MORE NEWS
 

Mansfield Man Accused Of Stealing Identity To Obtain Drugs

Pool Pass Ordinance Still Needs Work In Galion

Open Bible Church Requests Charges

Library Children's Room To Be Refurbished

Ford Hill Pool In Mansfield Sold

NAACP annual membership drive underway

MCS kindergarten camp Aug. 11-15

Ontario beautification winners announced

Matt Sauder Memorial Ride To Be Held August 2

WIC Discusses Survey And Customer Service

A Scientific Summer Offered At Marvin Memorial Library

OSU-Mansfield/NC State Celebrate Internship Program

RCT Board Reviews Fare Increase Impact On Ridership

More News